Thursday, July 30, 2009

Episode 311: Aerin's & Raffles Creamery

Met up with some of the MOE scholars from my batch for lunch at Aerin's. There was a 1-for-1 offer going on, so the meal was rather affordable, still a key concern for me these days. Dessert was ice-cream at Raffles Creamery, tucked away inside Raffles Hotel. It's got some novelty flavours like Singapore Sling sherbet, but price-wise, I'd definitely still go for Venezia. The service was a bit lacking as well. I spent a couple of hours in the National Library after that, just browsing. I did eventually pick up Tomas Tranströmer's The Great Enigma, among other things, including a book translated from German by Michael Hulse, Alexander Kluge's The Devil's Blind Spot. Have liked what I've read so far very much, so I might go so far as dropping him an e-mail about it. I've also developed a newfound respect for the amount of poetry that's actually stocked, considering it's highly unlikely that many library users go there to pick up poetry by John Ashbery or Paul Celan. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of collections published by Carcanet on the shelves, and wondered why I'd never noticed them before. Why do Borders and Kinokuniya not stock anything from Carcanet? It seems a bit of a travesty, now that I think about it. I mean, if the National Library managed to find it, surely booksellers can as well?

1 comment:

Dan said...

"Why do Borders...not stock anything from Carcanet?"

It's the same in British branches - the one I used to work in never had any Carcanet collections. Most probably the central buyers get bribes from Faber, or whoever. Oddly, Waterstones generally do stock Carcanet - the one in central Bournemouth had books by Frank O'Hara and Gillian Clarke the last time I was there.