Friday, July 31, 2009

Episode 312: These Soles Were Made For Walking (Not!)

I finished another collection of Chad Oliver's short stories, Far From This Earth, and they were really, really good. The anthropological thread that runs through most of them imparts a different flavour to the science fiction. Today, I told Shirley that human beings are probably the only species on Earth in which stupidity is tolerated, and even rewarded. She agreed. If you don't think about it too much, it does have a glibly persuasive ring to it, and I can't really be bothered to be contrary and suggest counterexamples. Having finished that book, I've now started on Toh Hsien Min's poetry collections. (Yes, he's on the list of local poets whom I genuinely admire.) As for the title of my post, let's just say that this has to be one of the funnier reasons for not turning up for Alpha on a Friday evening. I made it as far as Northpoint before realising that the soles of both my shoes were coming off, and it was too late to go home, change my shoes and still make it down in time for the session, so I just gave up and wandered around the library for a bit. Bumped into my mum and Natalie, so I ended up having dinner at Swensen's. Just one of those random things.

No comments: