Thursday, July 08, 2010

Episode 654: HQ Attachment Day 4

Slept about seven hours last night, but woke up feeling just a bit more tired than I have for the past couple of days. What gives? Also made it out of the house slightly earlier, so I ended up in the worst of rush hour (human) traffic. Literally crushed from Jurong East to Buona Vista. On the way home though, I seem to have got lucky and missed the human flow by a couple of minutes, as I was on a relatively 'normal' train in the reverse direction. Didn't make it onto the first southbound train that pulled in though. Next one was terminating at Yew Tee, so I did the usual thing of getting off at Bukit Batok and doubling back. Got a seat, read a bit of River Of Gods, and then snoozed all the way home, waking up just in time at Sembawang. Workload starting to grow, so I don't feel like I'm just showing up to browse My Forum anymore! Actually have a pile of stuff to read before Monday, but I'm forcing myself to read it during office hours. No point turning into a workaholic years before it's a necessity! River Of Gods, by the way, is coming to a climactic finish, but I'm definitely not convinced that it's as fantastic as all the blurbs proclaimed. It's good genre fiction, but I don't think it's really doing anything that hasn't been done by other writers before, apart from transplanting the action into a distinctly Oriental setting (which I already pointed out feels like an overly calculated decision). There's already a collection of short stories set in the same fictional universe, Cyberabad Days, and Ian McDonald really does seem to be one of the new Gollancz darlings, so bully for him.

No comments: