Friday, July 09, 2010

Episode 655: HQ Attachment Day 5

Just got back from cell. Was so sleepy after a day in the office, but I still forced myself to go down to church. In hindsight, not entirely convinced that was actually the right decision. Managed to skim through the whole sheaf of papers I photocopied yesterday, but it was enough to get a gist of what was going on in all the reports. I must say, this week alone has really opened my eyes to just how much goes on at MOE that you never realise as a student or a parent, and possibly even as a teacher first starting out in the job. It's so easy to appropriate corporate jargon and parody it, but the thing is, a lot of the time, I can see the underlying sense to it. It's just that most people won't be prepared to look past the terminology and will instinctively reject whatever's being said. Had lunch today with colleagues in Holland Village's Eating With Fries. It was a quirky place, I suppose, but I wasn't terribly impressed by the food. Conceptually, I think it's brilliant, and I love the random library section just stuck in on the upper floor (although quite why so many of the books are kids' books like Enid Blyton, I don't really know). For a place whose selling point appears to be its wide choice of fries though, the preparation really feels quite pedestrian. It's basically a lot of powdered flavourings that in all likelihood came straight out of a packet from the supermarket!

No comments: