Sunday, July 11, 2010

Episode 657: Self-publishing?

It's a no-brainer that one of the applications I've downloaded onto my iPhone is Stanza. I have, however, so far tried not to download books that I would buy print copies of anyway, even if they're books that have passed into the public domain. Currently, I'm using Stanza more as a tool to explore self-published writing. The first book I've starting reading so far, The American Book Of The Dead by Henry Baum, is actually very intriguing and it's honestly changed my mind about what to demand from self-published work in terms of quality. If all the other e-books are just as good, consider me a convert. I'm not one of those people who think traditional publishing is definitely going to be displaced by the likes of Kindle, but I think e- and self-publishing are useful avenues to get work out that isn't perceived by mainstream publishers to have commercial viability. Even House Of Leaves, that phenomenal work, first started out as something that was circulated online. Anyway, I'm grossly simplifying my train of thought here because I want to go to bed, but I may expand it into a post for Incwriters, which I haven't worked on at all beyond preparing my first post. Lame, I know!

No comments: