Friday, April 01, 2011

Episode 921: Joel McHale Is My New TV Hero

Have spent a good chunk of the day watching Community, which is so addictive! I blame it on the fact that each episode only lasts around 20 minutes, so it feels like you could always squeeze in just one more. I've got through 13 episodes today, and I'm going to finish Season 1 tomorrow. Best quote I've heard in a TV show for a while now: 'The funny thing about being smart is that you can get through most of life without ever having to do any work.' It is absolutely true, and if I may flatter myself just a little, I think I'm pretty much an embodiment of that. Have read nothing today, although I'm about to start on Geoff Page's Selected Poems that Michael Hulse lent me over the Easter break. Was so bored today (before I started watching Community) that I even went on Wikipedia and updated his article! I did try reading The Plagiarist as well, but I gave up after a couple of pages and that book's now going back to Amazon UK. Guess I just can't deal with anti-novels? (Yes, it was actually advertised as one.) No one answered my question on Facebook, probably because no one recognised any of the titles and therefore nobody cared. I did come across an interesting new author though, Blake Charlton, who writes fantasy and science fiction, but also happens to be a medical student. You can check out his free short story, 'Endosymbiont'. It offers a solution to what I think is the biggest objection we have as a species towards AI, that we can't give them the same brand of morality that we (think we) possess. His answer is elegant, and I think it could really only have arisen from someone with a background in biology. Don't just take my word for it though, read the story.

No comments: