Saturday, April 23, 2011

Episode 943: £4.10 For The Scenery?

So I travelled to Stratford on the X18 to pick up a copy of The World's Wife from the library there, but it turned out not to be there, contrary to what the online catalogue indicated. Borrowed a Li-Young Lee's From Blossoms: Selected Poems though, so not completely a wasted trip. Didn't realise Stratford lies outside the Unirider zone for Leamington/Warwick though, so ended up having to pay £4.10 for the stretch of the journey from Stratford till the Hilton Warwick. That was slightly annoying, especially since the driver was quite rude about it. (Of course, what this means is that I can totally avoid paying for a return ticket to Stratford, though I have no idea how much that saves me really.) It's a pretty scenic route, especially in the spring. I haven't really started on my 4000-word essay for my PWP, apart from laying down the introduction's opening sentences. It's a good start, and hopefully, I'll do more tomorrow. You know, tomorrow being Easter Sunday and all. Oh, the symbolism! Incidentally, the new Doctor Who is quite disappointing, especially after the hype from the trailer, although unlike a lot of people, I do like how the relationship between the Doctor and River is continuing to develop. That piece of River's dialogue when she was with Rory was genuinely moving: 'My past is his future. We're travelling in opposite directions. Every time we meet, I know him more, he knows me less. I live for the days when I see him, but I know that every time I do, he'll be one step further away. The day is coming when I'll look into that man's eyes, my Doctor, and he won't have the faintest idea who I am, and I think it's going to kill me.' (The execution of the concept, however, totally rips off Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife, yeah?)

No comments: