Monday, October 03, 2011

Episode 1106: Plus Ça Change, Plus C'est La Même Chose

David Tait forwarded me half a dozen submissions this evening, so I'm going through a couple of them before bed. So far, all the stories I'm reading definitely need a lot of work, but I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for these writers beyond first editing down their work for greater economy, and then we can proceed from there. Frankly, I'm guilty at times of overwriting too, so I don't feel like I'm being unduly harsh by telling writers that they need to cut back. Anyway, it's been a pretty busy first day. I'd quite forgotten how much you could get done just by waking up earlier. Got up around 8.30 am, so I had time to watch an episode of Hung and Wild Boys each, shower, pick up my new student card and collect my DFP Affaires B2 certificate (avec mention très bien!), before heading to the IACS for my DR@W experiment. Then I had my first EN973 seminar with Emma Mason, which was great. Caught up with the other creative writers who've stayed on to do various MAs in Curiositea, and it was nice seeing everyone again! Had some sort of induction meeting too, which wasn't terribly useful, to be honest, and drinks and nibbles after. Chatted to some new people who're doing the Writing MA, and then I went to The Dirty Duck to catch up with church friends. So I'm pretty tired now, otherwise I'd finish reading all of the submissions David forwarded.

No comments: