Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Episode 1128: A Deadline Forgotten

For some reason, I'd been labouring under the delusion that my review of V. S. Naipaul's The Mystic Masseur was due later this week. It was in fact due on Sunday! So I've hastily written it and sent it off to Craig. I didn't really care for the novel itself, but that's because I don't get on with most Caribbean and Indian authors. Purely personal preference. I thought the ideas it contained about colonialism and social class were interesting though, especially because they're concealed to some extent behind the narrative's comic façade. Now this review's done, I just have one more to go, which I sort of solicited and then put off working on because there's no deadline for it. Am still managing to stay on top of things, academically speaking, although I haven't been doing much reading or research for my dissertation. Guess I'll start to get worried if there's been no progress on that front by the middle of this term? At the same time, I'm also trying to get back into reading for pleasure. Poetry mainly, of which I have a lot, although I finally ordered those Pinter and Stoppard play collections, which I'm excited about as well. I've wanted them ever since I discovered them in library@esplanade, and this being my final year, it's now or never to get them on the cheap, relatively speaking.

No comments: