Monday, October 17, 2011

Episode 1120: Crisis Resolved, For Now

Finally sent off the revised proposal in the early hours of the morning, and nearly overslept and missed my haircut appointment as a result. Fortunately though, Pablo Mukherjee seems to think that the revised proposal represents a good starting point for my research, and more importantly, he didn't object to my bringing in the concept of liminality, which I wasn't sure I'd applied correctly. He also raised the issue of commodification, which is definitely a good angle to look at the Merlion, which if you go back to its origins, is really a manufactured tourist icon. All this stuff about national identity? It's just writers projecting their own anxieties onto a blank canvas over the decades, if we're being honest about the whole matter. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me in terms of reading anyway. Feels good, knowing that you might be stumbling about, but at least you're more or less going the right way for now. Plus it's only Week 3. I'd be crazy to think I have a perfect idea of what to write for my 16000-word dissertation at this point in time!

No comments: