Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Episode 162: Doubt

Went to see the film version of John Patrick Shanley's Doubt this evening because Lucy suddenly suggested it after the EN121 lecture. A Catholic priest is suspected of sexually abusing the new black student, and Meryl Streep's character goes throughout the film absolutely convinced that he has had improper relations with the child. It is never explicitly clarified whether or not this was the case, but then again, the whole point of the plot is that it is driven by Sister Aloysius's conviction of Father Flynn's guilt, regardless of there being no evidence. In contrast, Sister James is more prepared to accept his explanations, even though there is something a little dodgy and Philip Seymour Hoffman does look kind of creepy. The film has uneven pacing at times, but it is nonetheless redeemed by Streep's strong performance, particularly in the final scene, when she breaks down and finally confesses, 'I have such doubts,' thus revealing that her single-minded campaign was in part a means to reinforce her own faith. Now I'm stuck staying up late to finish the radio play for Wednesday's seminar! I think I've got two separate endings in mind, but I can't decide which I like better, so I'm just going to write lines for both, since they'll just be for a few seconds anyway.

No comments: