Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Episode 169: Domination

Just got back from the Good Food Society's social at Chico's in Leamington Spa. The food was pretty good, but the service was fairly dismal for an establishment that automatically includes a service charge in the bill. I mean, I can accept lousy service in Singapore since the staff don't have to work for the GST anyway, but over here, I expect some standards. Anyway, I played Domination again for a good part of today, which is sort of like a desktop Java version of Risk. It's pretty cool because someone designed a Middle-earth map, so that's what I've been playing on obsessively. Curiously enough, the strongest starting position is Mordor. As long as you can secure that, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game, especially since the AIs have only two tactics, as far as I can tell, even the hard AIs. One, they attack until they run out of troops, i.e. they are purely expansionist. Two, they will always try to break your hold on a continent. It's starting to get a bit boring though, so I'm thinking the next round that I play, I'm going to set five hard AIs against one human player, with random starting positions. Have not written anything new for tomorrow's slam session in Peter Blegvad's seminar, so I will just have to get by with stuff I've written previously. Am feeling lazy anyway, since it's the last few days of term! Must study a little for my French test tomorrow though, even though I think it's not going to be much of a problem for me.

No comments: