Friday, March 27, 2009

Episode 186: Questionable Musical Tastes?

It should disturb me how I will listen to songs with inane lyrics as long as the beat is appealing. It doesn't though. Latest example: Thor Gudjonsson's 'The Wiggle Wiggle Song'. The lyrics are completely pointless, the singing isn't all that great, but the beat is trashily perfect and that's all that matters to me. Måns Zelmerlöw released his second album two days ago, and initially, I didn't think much of it, apart from the opening track, 'Hope & Glory'. Having had a chance to give the album a couple of spins though, including while I was travelling to and from London yesterday, I think it's a step forward, musically, edging the sound closer to say, M. Pokora's MP3. Unfortunately though, it also means the music is completely disposable and is unlikely to achieve any sort of widespread international success, given how the market is already saturated by the likes of Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, The Pussycat Dolls, etc. What is it with these Europeans and their cheesy music though? Gudjonsson's Icelandic, Zelmerlöw's Swedish. Oh well. Went up to Coventry with Bella to grab lunch and buy a backpack for Wales next week. Bought something for £29.99 on Shen Ting's recommendation. Shall watch a couple of episodes of The Bedford Diaries and then continue with my radio play...

No comments: