Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Episode 246: 'Soon born to die, soon flourishing to fade.'

So the paper went better than I thought it would. In fact, all that studying felt kind of wasted, since I didn't exactly put much of it to use. Well, it was little things here and there, but I'm not sure how much of it will actually gain me significantly more marks. I did really like the Barnabe Barnes sonnet that came out for the Renaissance poetry commentary. Didn't think I would have a lot to say about it initially, but as I started writing, ideas just sort of fell into place and I'm quite proud of my one-page analysis for that sonnet. Writing it was just one of those rare moments when spotting and analysing a point of interest was more intellectual pleasure than pain. I'm pretty sure my translations this time were better, and while I definitely could have written more about Wyatt and been more coherent towards the end, I think overall I should be able to pass comfortably, and perhaps a low 2:1 could even be more than a pipe dream. Post-paper, I wasn't making plans, unlike most people, to get smashed in the pub, as I've got a French paper tomorrow morning and I had to be at cell tonight anyway. I don't regret either of those things though. They're just part and parcel of my life, things that I've consciously chosen to do and that matter to me just as much as drinking myself (somewhat) silly. Besides, in light of the message of the Barnabe sonnet, whose final line I've nicked for the title of this post, I think life's too short to spend just drinking, wouldn't you say so?

No comments: