Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Episode 247: Parlez-vous français?

French today went swimmingly. I wrote about fair trade, and I sort of said on a philosophical level, doesn't it reinforce the inequality between First and Third Worlds? Don't flame me. It just seemed like a clever way to make the short essay stand out, rather than your run-of-the-mill drivel along the lines of 'Le commerce équitable est très bon.' Being deliberately controversial and using what is supposedly good vocabulary for the standard of the average LL208 student. That's my tactic for scoring in French. Hopefully, it pays off again. Also got the Freud and Carter essay back from Adam. Finally. As expected, it wasn't a First, but it was the next best thing! So on average, that should be a First for EN122, assuming that's how they calculate stuff in this department. Diesel jeans also arrived, and I think I like them as much as, if not better than, the G-Star RAW ones from the last time I went shopping for jeans online. Will debut a pair tomorrow at Varsity, which is now officially among the most pretentiously deconstructed pieces of denim in my cupboard.

Now that I've got just under a fortnight before my final paper, I've spent the afternoon looking for new music, both Christian and secular. Particularly worth mentioning is the V Factory single, 'Love Struck'. I swear it ticks all, all the boxes required to become a radio hit, right down to the cheesy lyrics and synchronised dance moves in the video. The scary thing? This group might actually have a chance, as the lead singer used to date Disney darling, Ashley Tisdale. Also listening to Darin, who hails from Sweden, which already gave my iTunes library Måns Zelmerlöw. What is it with Sweden and catchy pop music? Most awesome song addition of the day has to go to 'Good Girls Go Bad' though. Cobra Starship featuring Leighton Meester. I'm actually willing to buy her album when it drops, provided it sounds like this track or her cover of 'Bette Davis Eyes'. It seems Kara DioGuardi co-wrote this song, so I suppose she can be forgiven for having co-written the tripe that is 'No Boundaries' for Season 8 of American Idol. In case anyone's wondering, I prefer Kris Allen's version over Adam Lambert's, simply because Lambert annoys me. He just strikes me as the sort of person who knows his voice is good and deliberately shows it off.

No comments: