Saturday, May 30, 2009

Episode 250: Susan Boyle Didn't Win!

It is mildly appropriate that to commemorate another milestone for this blog (i.e. 250 entries), I'm pleased to announce that Susan Boyle did not win Britain's Got Talent. Granted, that woman can sing. However, anyone who doesn't realise that her meteoric rise to fame is simply symptomatic of the way the mass media operates in our time is kidding themselves. Broadway and the West End are full of people who can sing as well, but they're not exactly getting the sort of media coverage that Boyle enjoys, are they? (I am pleased to note though that Daniel Boys is releasing his debut album on June 1. I've pre-ordered a sign copy!) So I'm sure she'll have some sort of career after Britain's Got Talent, but it's only a matter of time before the media latches onto another underdog with a compelling story. Anyway, I spent the day getting on with my Spanish instead of revision. Am now considering if it's worth re-reading Yeats and Williams if I'm not keen on writing about them. It all really depends on what the questions are like, but it seems prudent to start preparing earlier. Perhaps re-read Stoppard and Beckett first, followed by Eliot and Bishop?

No comments: