Sunday, January 31, 2010

Episode 496: I Hate In Memoriam A. H. H.

Overslept and missed church, but the extra hour or so of sleep helped a lot. I don't know why, but this term's just felt a lot more crowded with incident than the last four, which has made having a lie-in a veritable luxury. Not to say that the entire day was wasted. I watched an episode of The Vampire Diaries. I also did my French homework, although I've elected not to write out answers to comprehensions in future, since we never hand them in and I could probably conjure up the answer on the spot anyway, having read the article twice. Now all that's left to do over the next couple of days is the musical and putting together something that I can send out to solicit sponsorship for AdHoc. I even spent some time reading the remainder of 'In Memoriam A. H. H.', which was just as frustrating as the last time I sat down to read it in the Library. It was so unmemorable, I had trouble remembering where I stopped at first. Having got to the end of it, I found myself feeling like the transition was too abrupt, in the sense that Tennyson spends so many stanzas bemoaning what seems to me to have been at the very least, a very suspicious bromance, but at the end, there's this huge reversal and it's all very tout est bien qui finit bien. There's even a marriage, for crying out loud, even if it is stashed away in the epilogue. Now that reading for work is done, I've moved on to re-reading books I last read years ago. Am beginning with Armistead Maupin's novels, which although they sound a bit dated now, are still pretty funny to me. In other news, Gollancz is now definitely my go-to publisher for science fiction.

No comments: