Thursday, October 07, 2010

Episode 745: Time To Read!

My copy of the Norton Shakespeare has arrived, so it's time to get cracking on reading. I very industriously finished and sent off a blog entry for The Shakespeare Standard yesterday, in which I bemoaned in somewhat witty fashion how I haven't done any of the work for EN301 that I was supposed to. Essentially, I write in (approximately) the sort of tone that I prefer in my journalism. Think Joel Stein's columns for Time. Am now trying to make a start on my review of Turbulence Issue Four for Sabotage Reviews, having already finished my reading for next week's EN331 Poetry in English since 1945. Allen Ginsberg and Richard Wilbur, in case you're wondering. I'm not sure I care particularly much for either of these poets. I don't like most of Ginsberg's work outside of 'Howl', whereas Wilbur's comments on his poetics strike me as more interesting than the poems themselves. As for the review, I'm actually finding it a bit hard to progress beyond the first paragraph because I'm trying to figure out how to word what I want to say. There's nothing terribly bad about this particular issue of the magazine, but on the other hand, there's nothing terribly good either, save for one exceptional sequence of poems by Cameron Conaway. Damning with faint praise feels uncharitable though. Probably best to sleep on it and come back to it tomorrow, I think.

No comments: