Monday, October 25, 2010

Episode 763: Review Written!

So I decided that trying to finish the remainder of C, while feasible, wasn't necessarily going to add to my review of the book in any meaningful way. Also, I'd been at the bus stop for ages, there was a massive group of people waiting for the U1, and I figured that if I wasn't going to be able to get on, I might as well finish the book review and catch a later bus. So I doubled back to the Library and forced myself to bang out about 700 words or so. I think this is the harshest I've ever been for a review that's being sent off to Evolve Journal. Normally, I'm a lot more positive because I both like the books more and the idea with these reviews is generally to encourage people to (buy and) read the book, not savage it. Well, it's not like I ripped Tom McCarthy to shreds or anything. I'm definitely standing by my opinion that Remainder, his first published novel, is far superior to either Men In Space or C. Have now begun reading the other book I've got to review, which is Jonathan Raban's Driving Home: An American Scrapbook. Only made it through the introduction so far, but I already like the guy. He's even made me want to read William Empson's Seven Types Of Ambiguity. It sounds like one of those books that I should have read as a student of literature, but also a book that I would enjoy reading regardless of whether I had to or not, and that's always a plus.

No comments: