Thursday, June 09, 2011

Episode 990: Finally...

Got back my remaining assessed work this afternoon, and at this point, short of some massive academic disaster involving a Shakespeare examination, a First is safely in the bag. I've worked it out, and even if I got just 50 for that, I would need to somehow have failed my French as well to drop from a First. So this is really good news, not to mention my PWP finally gave me a mark higher than 74. To be honest, I would have been quite gutted if it hadn't. The markers didn't necessarily agree on its merits, although both concurred that the essay was excellent. (It's like my Shakespeare creative project all over again!) Fiction portfolio, on the other hand, was somewhat disappointing, and I didn't think the feedback was particularly helpful either. I guess I'd be more upset if the genre I primarily worked in were prose, but since it isn't, I'm prepared to accept that this might be something I just don't have it in me to be really good at. That said, it sounded like the creative project I did for the EN236 examination was basically the best part of it. Was told that the story could develop into something really good with more redrafting, outside of the examination conditions, but I should never attempt to get it published in Singapore. Hadn't thought it was that incendiary, or even had the potential for being so. I just thought it was a cool science fiction flash fiction. Maybe this is my niche? Writing about Singapore, but indirectly. Does this make me political? I know it can be argued that all writing is political, but I don't really want to be actually political, if you know what I mean.

No comments: