Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Episode 1415: Desperation Is Never Classy

Urgh. Tried to be good and went to bed at just past 1 am, only to wake up at half past 3 and be unable to fall asleep again until it was around half past 6, and waking up around 2 pm. So basically, no different from the past week or so. Ended up chilling for the rest of the day, but it's okay, I think. Supervisor's only getting back to me with comments on what I sent him early next week anyway, so I can probably take the rest of this week to work on my second chapter, starting from tomorrow. Anyway, it recently came to my attention that nominations for Sundress Publications' annual Best Of The Net anthology are closing soon, so I asked people following Eunoia Review on Facebook and Twitter if they had any recommendations. Not many have been forthcoming, although one writer seems to have interpreted this as an open invitation to get her relatives to start spamming the journal's submissions e-mail to recommend her work. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting your family to drum up support for you, since it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to be supportive. What I'm unimpressed by is how transparent the attempts at self-promotion have been. I mean, it's one thing to post a comment or tweet putting oneself forward, but no one else has seen fit to start sending me typographically schizophrenic e-mails that I'm pretty sure have crossed the line into spam. At the end of the day, I'm not going to choose who gets nominated based on a popularity contest, okay?

No comments: