Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Episode 1423: Never Change, The L.A. Complex (I Guess?)

The L.A. Complex is a weird show. I like it, but it's so un-American, I don't even know what it's doing on The CW, even as summer programming. At first glance, its oh-so-pretty cast looks right at home with everything else on The CW, and well, American TV in general. Yet the way it handles its storylines, which are sort of grim (even in an age when we have shows like Revenge, everyone on this show is messed up in ways that typically get glossed over on a TV show), means that its audience was always going to be niche, as the ratings have proven. I can't decide if I think the actors would be better off on something more 'mainstream' (seriously, throw anyone from this show into something else on The CW and they wouldn't look out of place at all), or be impressed that Canada is still making TV shows that are tonally so different from typical American fare. Anyway, I wrote more today than I did yesterday, so even if this upward trajectory continues for just one day more, my middle chapter will be nearly done.

No comments: