Monday, June 08, 2009

Episode 259: Multiverse Morality?

Managed to sort out my essay plans and quotes early in the afternoon. So I'm going to spend the rest of the day re-reading the seven pages of notes that I've made. I'm not sure how much of the critical comments I'm going to remember, but I'm only taking very minimal quotes from the primary texts, so remembering those shouldn't be too much of a problem. Will probably pass the next couple of hours by alternately reading my notes and reading something else, just for variety. All this, naturally, after the Season 6 finale of Charmed. It's so tempting to just blow off work now and assume that it'll all come back to me somehow in 24 hours. Literally. I shan't though! Anyway, watching the season finale has rekindled my interest in the concept of a balanced multiverse, in the manner of Jane Jensen's Dante's Equation. I don't think it's possible to subscribe to it, at least not in the form that it's been portrayed in fiction and media, primarily because it either comes off as too reductive or too complicated, i.e. in practice, morality isn't something that you can conveniently flip in its entirety, e.g. in the season finale of Charmed, whereas the multiverse of Dante's Equation seems to defy the principle of Occam's razor. The idea itself, however it is applied, does seem to generate the sort of patterning and structure that confers a work the sense of substance, regardless of whether that substance is founded on anything to begin with. As Hugh Kenner commented on Waiting For Godot: 'For nothing satisfies the mind like balance; nothing has so convincing a look of being substantial.'

No comments: