Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Episode 274: Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, The Illegals & Monsters, Inc.

It seems like we are doomed to experience housing drama, even until the last moment. Turned up at the house, only to discover that the house specified in the contract wasn't the one that we thought we were getting. Thankfully, that's been cleared up and new contracts signed. Rooms have also been sorted. Impartially, I might add. Much thanks to Dan and Shen Ting for helping me to move my stuff into the black cab, especially Dan, who followed me to Earlsdon and then helped us to move our stuff in as well, even though he didn't have to. I owe you one, Mr Barrow. So now everything's settled and the only lingering question is how much, if at all, I'm going to be charged for my overweight luggage. Fingers still crossed on that one. Came back to campus with Lola while the others popped off to Birmingham, and then I went to Adriana's production of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, which was great. The actress cast as Honey looked eerily like the actress from the film version. Prettier, of course, but still bearing a somewhat uncanny resemblance. Mentioned it to Bella as we were leaving the CAPITAL Centre, and she agreed. This is one of my favourite plays ever, so it was nice to catch it during SPLAT Fest.

Wanted to grab a smoothie from the Library Coffee Bar, but it was closed. So I sat in the Library and finished up Celan's Fathomsuns and Benighted. My head felt properly messed with by the end of that, and I was only reading the English translations. Can't imagine what it must be like for a German speaker to read those poems. Thought of staying in the Library until it was time for The Illegals, but decided that I would trudge back to Westwood instead. I mean, it's not like I actually had anything important to do! Anyway, The Illegals was an interesting interweaving of life stories, and I suspect the cause it champions is one that I could actually envision myself supporting with more than just words. We'll see. No Colin Firth because he was filming and they overran their schedule, otherwise I'd have been sitting a mere metre away from him. Not that it mattered to me, since I'm not really a fan of Colin Firth anyway. No, I have never seen the wet shirt scene in the 1995 TV serial adaptation of Pride And Prejudice, and if the rest of the world is to be believed, I am apparently missing out on a 'defining moment' of television. Cue shrug.

Went straight from that to the last Ugly Cousins Club meeting, which saw some reading, followed by many abortive drinking games. Haha! I was just nursing a bottle of Bacardi Breezer throughout. Some of us split off to head to the screening of Monsters, Inc. on Rootes field, which was an experience in itself. It's one thing to catch a film with people in a cinema. It's quite another to be in the middle of a crowd on a field. It got a bit nippy though, which was the only downside. I confess that this is one of the more recent animated films, relatively speaking, that I've genuinely enjoyed. Of course, it helped that the screening was free, courtesy of KPMG and Warwick Student Cinema. Otherwise, I certainly wouldn't have paid money to see something that I've already seen. I've hardly ever done that before, if I remember correctly. I think people who pay money to watch the same film multiple times, as people do with the Harry Potter series (and soon will with the Twilight series), are just being silly. Wait a while more, buy the DVD, and you can rewatch it as many times as you want! So all in all, it's been a busy day. One day closer to leaving for Singapore...

No comments: