Friday, June 19, 2009

Episode 270: L'empreinte De L'ange

Headed onto Central Campus to get some errands done. First order of business was getting my book posted, so that I can get some money back for what was essentially not my fault. Refer here for details. With any luck, this return will actually make it back safely, although that is usually the norm rather than exception, which leaves me still very unimpressed with how this site treats its customers, free worldwide delivery notwithstanding. Then I headed to the bank to sort out my financial situation, which has been pretty dire of late, even for me. It's got completely crazy this last few weeks, so I'm going to have to rein myself in next year and impose limits. Maybe even do actual accounts. I know, shocking, isn't it? Then I went to pick up my complimentary tickets for L'empreinte De L'ange (The Mark Of An Angel), before grabbing a bite to eat and then being boring by reading in the Library after pretty much everyone has deserted it. Quite happy with my decision though. Read some Carol Ann Duffy, from a Penguin collection because someone has borrowed all of her collections from the Library. Then I read this play by Grae Cleugh, Fucking Games, which really reminded me of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?. Without giving away two much, let's just say that there are two sparring couples of different ages, as well as a surprise revelation at the end that I completely did not see coming. Sent Bella an SMS to tell her to check it out because I think she'll like it. It's twisted enough. Haha...

Then I went back to Costcutter to get a box, came back to my room and did some more packing, before walking back to the Arts Centre to meet Dan for L'empreinte De L'ange. (What can I say? I needed the exercise.) The film was understated, and the director's choices in terms of angles and perspectives was actually very good. It's films like this one that persuade me it is possible to analyse a film in the same manner that one would analyse a written text. Without giving too much of the plot away, suffice to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how unstable my sympathies were for the two female leads, and the shift was induced by the film in a very subtle fashion. Again, without giving anything away, I just want to say that I totally saw the twist in the plot coming. Like 15 minutes before it happened, I knew what it was going to be. It was quite a classic TV plot element, at least to me. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and I liked the ending of the film. It left me unsure of what to feel about the whole situation, as you aren't likely to find it in you to say either woman was entirely right or wrong in the way she acted. Go see it at the Arts Centre for yourself! It's screening for another two days, if I remember correctly.

No comments: