Thursday, May 06, 2010

Episode 591: Elections

I'm currently in a race with all the people tallying the votes for the UK election. I'm trying to finish my commentaries before all the results are in. I have 10 more poems to cover, and there are 649 seats still undeclared, so I think I have a fighting chance here. I didn't vote, not because I don't care, but because my own government wouldn't allow it, and then had a change of heart after it was pointed out to them that the wording in the UK concerning eligibility to vote did not in fact conflict with their stand. (You would think this is the sort of thing they would clarify before threatening their own citizens with losing the ability to vote in Singapore. Frankly, call me crazy, but I feel like my vote would have mattered more in the UK than back home.) Exit polls suggest that I'm going to wake up on my birthday to a hung parliament, but with the Conservatives in a position to form a minority government. Now at a personal level, I consider myself politically apathetic. This is a quality that has been drummed into me by virtue of the circumstances in which I grew up. This doesn't mean, however, that I don't feel bad about my friends who live here having to endure a Tory government for the next few years. So if the Conservatives are in tomorrow, I'm definitely wearing black.

No comments: