Friday, May 21, 2010

Episode 606: Six And Counting...

At the moment, I'm on six straight rejections, although I woke up to one this morning that made me smile (just a little) because it was such an enthusiastic and positively worded rejection. It also proved that editorial taste can be such an unpredictable minefield. It's almost enough to make you want to give up and start your own magazine, just to create a guaranteed outlet for your own work. When Pound did something similar, he assured literary immortality for his associates and himself. If you did that today, it'd be called vanity publishing and have lots of noses turned up at it. Anyway, I'm taking things in my stride for now. If anything, my experience of the whole submission-rejection cycle is probably going to provide fodder for at least one of my blog entries when my stint at Incwriters comes up in July. Now on to more boring things. The French paper today was okay, although I wish I'd spent more time on the composition. It's not a huge issue, and I'm confident my overall mark is still going to be a First, but it's just not going to be as high a mark as it could have been, that's all. I've also found a piece of software that will allow me to create a Harris matrix electronically, so that's the first part of my final assessment for the Archaeology certificate taken care of. Still doesn't mean I relish the prospect of attending the remaining classes though...

No comments: