Thursday, May 20, 2010

Episode 605: Brutally Honest

Wow. Just wow. So I was up at 2 am, sending off pieces to editors and setting myself up for more rejection e-mails, but I don't think I've ever encountered such a swift rejection as this. Five whole minutes between sending the poems off and getting a reply, which meant whoever opened it spent an average of less than one minute per poem, assuming they even read them all. It isn't so much the rejection that rankles, as the fact that whoever replied didn't see the need to pretend like they'd taken more time. Far be it from me to profess that anything I've written is worthy of lengthy perusal, but I think five minutes was definitely not enough time to actually read the whole submission, let alone make a judgement about it. Yes, I do think there was actually some merit to be found in at least two of the poems, and three more, if ordinary people liking what they read even counts for anything anymore these days. Okay, now I'm just being bitter, so I'm going to stop here and go drown my feelings of being snubbed by the establishment in a book.

No comments: